As you may be aware, there have been many changes to special educational needs recently and there is now a new code of practice and statutory guidance for organisations who work with children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities from ages 0-25. The new Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) legislation came into effect from Monday September 1st 2014. The new guidance outlines for us as a school the actions we must take to meet our duties in relation to identifying and supporting all children with special educational needs.

1: How do we know if a child needs extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

- concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child

- limited progress is being made

- there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress

2: What should you do if you think your child may have special educational needs?

- The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns

- Thereafter, if you have concerns then contact Mrs Dunesby who is our Special Educational Needs Co-

3: How are children with special educational needs supported ?

If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills etc, then the pupil will be supported in order to make progress through interventions. These will be run by the teacher and/or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need. The intervention will be regularly reviewed by all involved to see how effective it has been, and plan for the next steps.These interventions will be recorded on the class provision map (this is a record of the interventions, timings, and impact of the intervention). If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCO.

Pupil Progress is reviewed regularly, at least once a term. This usually involves a shared discussion with the SENCO and class teacher and highlights areas of success and areas that may need further support. Areas that require further support will be addressed through planning further intervention activities.

Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENSS), Speech and Language therapist or the Educational Psychologist. A referral will be made with parental/carer consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.

Relevant key documents:

Our School's SEND Policy

Our School's Accessibility Plan 2017 - 2020

Our School's Single Equality Policy

Our School's Equality Action Plan

Dorset Family Information Directory

Our School’s Local SEN offer

What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) as a local offer of all services available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEN as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

What will it do?

It will provide parents/carers with information about how to access services in their area, and what they can expect from those services. With regard to Education, it will let parents/carers and young people know how schools will support them, and what they can expect across the local settings. Local Offers for individual schools are published on their school website, and collectively through Dorset County Council, allowing parents to make informed choices.

ordinator (SENCO).